Summer Advantage 2019 Info

Prepare for College Success!

June 24–July 26, 2019

Registration opens March 1, 2019

Questions? Email advantage@wsu.edu or call 509-335-3530

Financial Aid—There are options!

Summer Advantage students may be eligible for financial aid! A completed FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) must be on file with WSU. Students must take at least 6 credits to be eligible for financial aid. The financial aid you receive during for summer will not impact your fall/spring award.

Please know that submitting a FAFSA and registering for Summer Advantage does not automatically mean you will be awarded summer financial aid. You will be responsible to pay the full tuition and fees regardless of financial aid application outcome. Failure to pay will result in a hold on your account and the inability to register for classes.

For more information, visit

Student Financial Services—Summer Aid
Lighty 380
509-335-9711

Summer Financial Aid FAQs

For more information, please visit Student Financial Services—Summer Aid or call the number above.

What steps do I need to take to be eligible for summer financial aid?

1. You need to file a 2017-2018 FAFSA. The 2017-2018 FAFSA covers fall 2017, spring 2018, and summer 2018. Once this is done, your 2017-2018 financial aid can be reviewed.Remember that you also need to apply for the 2018-2019 FAFSA to cover the Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 semesters.
  2. You need to sign up for Summer Advantage! The Financial Aid office will then review your account to determine your eligibility to receive aid for the summer term. Please know that submitting a FAFSA and registering for classes doesn’t automatically mean you will be awarded summer aid.

What’s the minimum number of credits I need to be considered for summer financial aid?

Undergraduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of six total credit hours during Summer Session to receive Summer Financial Aid.

What type(s) of financial aid will be available?

Generally, the types of financial aid that are available to students in the summer include: Federal Pell Grant, Institutional Grant, Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans, and Parent PLUS loans. Please be aware that aid eligibility for these programs during the summer depends on several factors such as whether the grants and loans were used in the 2017-2018 academic year by you and if the university has available monies to offer students (Institutional Grant). You may also want to explore the option of funding your summer classes with a private loan or by getting a job.

Will I receive need-based financial aid (grants/loans) as part of my summer financial aid award?

It depends. If you did not use your entire Federal Pell Grant and Direct Subsidized loan eligibility during the fall and spring terms in the 2017-2018 academic year, then it is possible you could receive these need-based forms of financial aid. You may also qualify for other WSU need-based aid (Institutional Grant) depending on your expected family contribution (EFC) which is calculated from the FAFSA. These funds are awarded based on your EFC and whether WSU has monies to award. The lower your EFC is the better chance you will be eligible for these types of financial aid.

Do I need to be enrolled in 6 credits to receive a Pell Grant for the summer term?

No. If you are Pell Grant eligible based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and you did not use all your annual Pell Grant monies during the 2017-2018 academic year (fall 2017 and spring 2018), then you would be eligible to receive a summer Pell Grant even if you are enrolled in less than 6 credits. However, Pell Grant awarding is pro-rated based on the total number of credits you are enrolled in for the term.

Where do I find more information about the Parent PLUS loan and a private loan?

For more information about the Parent PLUS loan visit: Parent PLUS Loans
For more information about Private Loans visit: Private Education Loans

Will I be sent a notification if I receive a summer financial aid award?

Yes. Summer students receive an email sent to their WSU email letting them know they have an award and to check their Student Center on myWSU. The Student Financial Services office also sends students who didn’t qualify for a summer financial aid award an email as well.

When will summer financial aid deliver to my WSU Student Account?

Your financial aid will deliver on the first day of your first summer session class. All summer charges will post to your WSU Student Account on that first day of your first class as well. If your summer aid does not deliver on your first day of class, you will need to contact Student Financial Services immediately for assistance by visiting your local campus, by contacting our office at 509-335-9711 or financialaid@wsu.edu.

When will I receive my financial aid refund?

After your summer aid funds have delivered to your WSU Student Account, once all mandatory charges are paid if there is any remaining aid left you will be sent a financial aid refund within 3-5 days. We encourage students to sign up for Direct Deposit so they will receive their funds in a quicker/safer manner. For instructions on setting up Direct Deposit please view our How Two Set-Up Direct Deposit video. If Direct Deposit is not set up prior to aid funds delivering to your myWSU Student Account you will receive your refund in the form of a paper check mailed to the primary address set up in myWSU.

What if my summer financial aid never delivers to my WSU Student Account? What should I do?

You should call or stop by your local campus WSU Student Financial Services office immediately to have a counselor review your financial aid award and help you determine why your aid has not delivered. There are several different reasons that could explain why this might happen. For example, you may be borrowing Direct Loans for the first time and need to complete the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note (MPN). Another reason may be your total number of summer credits fell below the required minimum to receive financial aid, so your aid never disbursed electronically to your WSU Student Account.

Can I still apply for summer financial aid?

You can be considered for summer aid anytime in the summer as long as you have registered for the minimum credit hours for summer and have filed a 2017-2018 FAFSA. However, there is a cut-off date to be aware of. Student Financial Services has to receive your 2017-2018 FAFSA as well as review and process your financial aid award all before July 20th. Note: the last day students can accept loans for guaranteed delivery of funds for the summer term is July 20th.

Is it possible for me to receive a Scholarship for the summer session?

In general, university scholarships are not awarded during the summer, but some WSU departments/colleges do award scholarships during this term. This varies depending on the academic department, so it is best to contact the specific academic department for more information. We recommend you check out WSU’s free scholarship search engine at scholarships.wsu.edu to explore 100’s of scholarship opportunities.

What if I drop summer classes and fall below the minimum credit requirements for financial aid?

Your aid could be cancelled. This could create an Account Balance Owed on your WSU Student Account or a bill you must pay the university. You would see this on myWSU. In order for you to keep the financial aid you received, you must add additional classes to meet the minimum credit hour requirement to receive summer aid. The Student Financial Services office will send you an email if at any time during the summer session you fall below the minimum credit requirement for aid. If you have any questions, contact the Student Financial Services at 509-335-9711 or financialaid@wsu.edu.